U.S. SemiLEDs Invests In Chip Factory In Guangdong

U.S.-based SemiLEDs Corporation recently laid the foundation of a new USD350 million LED chip project, Xurui Optoelectronics, in Nanhai in Foshan, Guangdong province.

Li Jinmin, the chairman of China Solid State Lighting Alliance, told local media that foreign-invested LED plants in China are generally packaging plants and Xurui Optoelectronics is reported to be the first upstream LED chip manufacturing plant in the country with investment from a foreign company.

This new LED chip project will cover an area of 100 mu with total investments of over USD350 million. The project will be divided into three phases and the first will cost about CNY600 million.

The plant is owned by seven shareholders, with SemiLEDs Corporation holding a 49% stake while six other companies, including Diguang Electronics and Nationstar Optoelectronics, holding the remaining 51% stake.

SemiLEDs is a U.S.-based manufacturer of ultra-high bright LED chips with fabrication facilities in Hsinchu Science Park, Taiwan. SemiLEDs specializes in the development and manufacturing of vertical LED chips using a patented copper alloy base.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *